Saturday, July 9, 2016

5 Pointz According to Wikipedia

Today I remembered that I am a Wiki contributor. Woohoo! A few weeks ago, I took it upon myself to make an entry into Wikipedia regarding 5 Pointz, and so, today, I went back to check if my small contribution on the 5 Pointz Wiki was still there, or if it had been removed or modified in any way. 
 As the new curator for the Phun Factory, DiLillo was adamant to not use the word “graffiti” to refer to the work displayed at the Phun Factory, as “graffiti” had long been associated with crime and gang activity. In an effort to legitimize the art movement and set a distance from the negative connotation, he imposed strict rules for future projects. His rules included that none of the artwork submitted or showcased, would depict gang related symbols. Additionally, if any of the artists' tags were found in the neighborhood or neighboring communities, their work would be immediately removed. DiLillo was also credited by some young artists as the motivation for getting their GEDs and discouraging them from breaking the law.[12][13]
To my surprise, it was not removed or changed! I'm glad to see that the entry hasn't been removed or altered, as Mr. DiLillo was an integral part of this now defunct mecca of street art. His involvement with the youth of the LIC and Ridgewood neighborhoods was particularly important for the surrounding communities to embrace the work he was doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment