Monday, July 18, 2016

Andres Taborda AKA Caput Cauda Draconis

I am super excited to have met, through a mutual acquaintance, a very talented street artist by the name of Andres Taborda aka Caput Cauda Draconis. He is a Colombian born street artist raised in Queens, NY. He is currently working on a custom handmade laser assisted jewelry line for his own brand Spectradimension. Below is a clip of a promotional video for the launch of his Etsy shop, which features some of the pieces from his collection. 

But before there was jewelry, there were spray cans, concrete walls and some good old vandal nights. 

KG: How did you become interested in street art? And how did you make the jump from admirer to actual producer of street art/graffiti 

AGT: I made the jump the moment we first drove through the streets of Queens the day I got to this country, back in 1992. I was drawn in by all the graffiti and writing on rooftops, mailboxes, light poles, and any other object that made part of that environment. It was a colorful chaos of urban decay and human expression in complete clash. I knew immediately that I was going to be part of that. So, by my first day of school I was already thinking of how I was going to learn and submerge myself in graffiti. 

KG: Have you ever painted vandal?

AGT: Yeah, vandal all the way, not to take away from street art but the rush that comes from bombing or tagging was put in me at a very young age, so it was a rush to go out there late at night and climb rooftops and fences, break into private property or hitting up the subway tunnels, vans, box trucks. You name it, if it was outside we were tagging it. Times have changed and now it's more widely accepted even, I guess this generation grew up with it so now we embrace it. 

KG: How do you describe your style?

AGT: Style... I think it comes from influences of all kinds: cities, objects, artists. Over the years I have managed to be influenced by the places I've lived and the culture that surrounds me. My work has chunks and bits of experiences and trials and errors. I am Influenced by colors and flow. I am also obsessed with surrealism, so I kind of merge some of these feelings and visions to paint.

KG: Where are you focusing your energy today?

AGT: That's the beauty of being an artist, you are always evolving and exploring new things. My biggest passion is taking a white wall (or any lame color) and give it life, a new life. A place where someone might stop and take a picture or just to make your city beautiful and pleasant. So, in that quest, I am expanding my horizons and having fun with installations, because what was a simple wall can become an interactive piece of art. Now you can engage people in a way in which they take part in the piece, so using all your spaces and creating space where there is none and exploring new ideas of interaction is where I want to continue to focus.

KG: Does your work have a message or a meaning? 

AGT: No, my work does not have any deep meanings or offer any transcending value to your life.The message is simple: derp. My art is based of silly characters and moments, where they find themselves in funny situations and just making it fun and exaggerated. I don't expect people to walk away having an opinion about my art or the content of it, but more like an experience because there is so much to look at in my artwork that I don't want your brain to interrupt your eyes.

Thanks to Andres for sharing his work and taking the time to share his experiences. Best of luck on all future endeavors and keep creating beautiful things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment